Monday, February 15, 2010

Hello, Alexandre Bilodeau, I Think I Love You!

Alexandre Bilodeau has obviously been in the media a lot since his huge win - the first Canadian gold ever on home territory.  His name is sure to forever be a household name in his home country.

But more striking to me than his gold medal is the fact that every single interview of him shows him speaking of his older brother, Frederic.  Frederic has Cerebral Palsy, and his parents were told that he would not be able to walk after the age of 10.  And yet walk, he does.  And he skis.  And Alexandre names Frederic as his inspiration.  When asked what his gold medal will mean to his brother Frederic, Alexandre said, “A lot. It’s really getting me right now. My brother is my inspiration. Growing up with handicapped people puts everything back in perspective and he taught me so many things in life. My parents did, too.”

I have a son with special needs.  Over the course of his life, I have heard so many people express fear that raising a child with a handicap will be a negative experience for the other children in the family. It is one of the reasons often given for choosing to abort a fetus with a known disability. "It wouldn't be fair to my other children," people will say.

I would argue that it would not be fair to deprive your children of the opportunity to experience life with a sibling who is different.  Who has to fight for everything he achieves.  Who appreciates the simple things in life.  Who is not interested in keeping up with the Joneses, who does not notice acne or disheveled clothing, who does not care if you drive a Porsche or a Kia.  (Well, okay, my son would be pretty impressed with a Porsche, but hopefully you get my point!)

Growing up with a brother with Cerebral Palsy has obviously helped shape Alexandre Bilodeau's life in a positive way, just as I believe that growing up with a brother with Down syndrome has shaped my children.  I am sure it hasn't always been easy for Alexandre or for his parents to have a brother/child with CP, and yet the positive outweighs the challenges. 

I cannot speak completely for my own children, but I believe I see a compassion in them that would not be there, were it not for their brother.  They gravitate toward the downtrodden, the lonely, and befriend them.  They seek out the fellow students with disabilities and work to make school a welcoming place for them. No matter where they go in life or what career path they choose, I believe that they will always be compassionate people who have their radar up for those who need a little extra help in life.

Clearly Alexandre is a compassionate young man as well, and I look forward to learning more about him as a person in the coming weeks, as I am sure we will.

No comments:

Post a Comment